It is summer time. It is hot and the days are long. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, every season is associated with an element in nature. All five elements ( Fire, earth, metal water and wood) are associated with natural phenomena in the body and in nature.
According to Chinese Theory, summer is the season associated with the Fire Element. That’s easy for us to imagine; summers here are light, bright, and very warm. Here’s how to make the most of the fire element for your health:
- Fire element is associated with the Heart. In Chinese Medicine, the heart rules circulation,and interconnectedness. So get out every day and move your body.
- The Small Intestine is the yang organ of the Fire element. It’s responsible for separating the pure from the impure. Take advantage of this energy to declutter and rid yourself of what isn’t supportive or nourishing.
- The emotion of Fire element is joy! Strive to enjoy yourself. Appreciate your loved ones and express that to them. Socialize with friends and stay connected.
- The sound of the Fire element is laughter- that fits in with the love and joy. Read Rachel Wolf’s wonderful blog on the benefits of laughter from a couple of years ago.
- The flavor of the Fire element is Bitter. Bitters clear heat to balance the hot energy of the season, to calm excessive excitement and help digestion. We’ve also got some tips to keep your skin healthy from Karla Renaud.
Honoring the energy of the seasons helps us to feel vibrant and in tune with our bodies, our emotions and the world around us. Not feeling in the flow? Come on in for a seasonal tune-up. It’s one of the easiest ways to stay healthy. Have a great summer!